How I Wore It

The Forest Green Halter Maxi Dress

Hey Guys,

Popping in with one of my latest thrifted finds. I picked this forest green beauty up at a local Goodwill for around $7 with the tags still attached.

According to the label, the brand is Fee Et Rit. I Googled the brand but I wasn’t able to find any information about it or find any where this brand is still being sold retail.

The fabric is a washable polyester rayon spandex. I washed it prior to wearing it for this shoot, and it held up well.

This is a size 4 which is NOT my usual size (I usually wear a size 8/10) but it fits great because of the stretch.

I really love the back tie closure. I could easily have pulled the ties around to the front or worn the dress backwards to create a pussy bow look.

How I Styled It

I personally prefer a minimalist approach to styling. A few well chosen statement accessories usually make me happy.

I thought that black would play very well with this shade of green, so all of my chosen accessories were black.

Round Black Framed Sunnies & Black Gold Accented Tassel Earrings

Black Gold Accented Clutch Purse
Black Gladiator Sandals (Crown Vintage- DSW)

Conclusion

Although I really, really love thrifting, I don’t think that I always make the best choices so I always try to take my older sister along to give me an objective second opinion.

I was really happy when she gave me the green light on this dress.

Do you like to thrift shop? If so, I’d love to hear some of your thrifting tips below.

Until next time.

DIY, How I Wore It, sewing

The Ankara Mini Dress – S8124 Review

Hey Guys,

Dropping in with my 2nd look from our Atlanta Sewing Style summer photo shoot.

I’m sure you recognize this beauty!😍 That’s right it’s the popular Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 8124 mini dress.

I made it using an african wax print that I picked up from www.Roppudles.com.

PATTERN REVIEW

Pattern Description:

Pattern Sizing: I cut a size xtra small.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Sure

Were the instructions easy to follow? Extremely easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love how quick and easy this dress is. I also love the use of 1″ elastic for the neckline and wrist bands. I think it looks so much nicer than the narrower elastic used in some other designs I’ve seen.

Fabric Used: African Wax Print purchased from Roppudles.com a locally based company.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added a 2″ hem instead of the suggested 4″ hem. I wanted my dress to have more of an A-Line shape so I redrafted the sides. I also added pockets.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I will definitely be making another. I highly recommend this pattern if you like this style

DIY, fitting, How I Wore It, sewing

The White 2-Piece Pant Set

AtlantaSewingStyle just finished our very first summer photo shoot over the weekend. We made an outfit featuring all white and another using Ankara.

This is my white look or what I like to call my White Party look.

Because my last two looks for our group shots were both maxi dresses, I really wanted to make a pants outfit this time.

I originally thought of making a jumpsuit but I still have the white crepe jumpsuit that I made a few years ago using Vogue 1506…… See Here. I thought I’d get more wear out of white seperates than a white jumpsuit.

For the pants I used Mccall’s 7757 and for the top I used Mccall’s 7786 View A. Previously made here and here.

The fabric is a white mid weight cotton tshirt knit picked up locally from the Fabric Joint!

Pattern Adjustments/Changes

Pants

  • When I previously made this pattern I had cut off the top of the pattern at the foldline because I added a seperate waistband instead of going with the folded down waistband. I add a seperate elasticized waistband this time also. The waistband I added is 2 inches tall. This time I also removed about 1.5 inches from both the front and back crotch height so that the waistand stopped right around my belly button.
  • I lined the pants.
  • I omitted the pockets because of how clingy the fabric is and I didn’t want to add bulk to my upper thigh area.

..

Top

  • No changes other than I serged both the bottom edge of the top and the ruffle instead of hemming. I wish I had lined the bodice but I didn’t have enough fabric for that.
  • I originally cut a size 12 but it was too big around the chest area. I recut a size 10 and grated out to a 14 below the waist.

..

..

Final Conclusion

I really loved wearing this outfit. It was just as easy to wear as it was to make.

I’ll be posting my Ankara look in a couple of days but until then I’ll leave you with a few more of my favorite pics from the shoot.