Today I’m showcasing my new DIY stretch black corduroy flares made using Mimi G Style Simplicity 8655. I’m a 70’s child, so I LOVE me a pair of flares. I’m especially loving these because they are giving me major Rachel Zoe and Victoria Beckham vibes. These fit nice and skinny through the thigh and knee area with a flare that’s wide enough to sufficiently cover these size 10s.😂🤣😆
These pants were actually made up as a test garment for my upcoming collaboration post with Minerva Fabrics. I made this version in the flare leg style, but I’ll be featuring a skinny pant version for the collaboration .
So I’m going to be completely honest and transparent in this post. I am so in LOVE with these pants but I am NOT in love with this outfit. Something is off! 🤔 I’m not sure if it’s my styling, my awkward poses, or a combination of both.
Pattern Changes & Alterations
Sewed 1 inch seam allowances – My hip measurement put me between a size 14 and a size 16. I went with a size 16 because I was terrified that the 14 wouldn’t work out. To my surprise the size 16 was too big. To offset this, I went with a 1 inch seam allowance instead of the standard 5/8 and I took a small chunk out at the center back seam. Making these small changes was just enough to fine tune the fit.
Lowered The Front Rise 1.5 inches – These pants are designed to sit 2 inches above the waistline, but this doesn’t work for me because I am short-waisted. There is only about a 4 inch distance between bust and waist so I really can’t afford to give up the 2 inches. For these pants I decided that I would bring the rise down by 1.5 inches.
Steps to Adjust The Rise
- I added a line to the pattern about a quarter of an inch down from the dart point. I placed the pattern on top of my cutting mat so that I could use the grid as a guide to mark my line perpendicular to the grain line of my pattern.
- Once my line was drawn, I slashed it from the inseam to the outer seam. When making that cut, I didn’t cut all the way through the outer seam because I needed to use the uncut edge as a hinge to move my top pattern piece downward to adjust the front rise. Doing it this way allowed me to keep the side seams where the front and back meet the same length.
- When shortening the rise, I made sure to slide the top half of the pattern piece downward. I used my seam gauge to measure down 1.5 inches.
Added Length – I added 1.5 inches and added a 2 inch hem instead of the 3 inch hem allowance that is built into the pattern. So basically the pants were 2.5 inches longer than they would have been had I not made these adjustments. I added the extra length because I wasn’t 100% sure of the shoes that I would end up wearing with them. For me, this style looks best when it completely covers the feet and hangs really close to the floor.
Collective Concepts Chiffon Navy Leopard Print Top – I thrifted this top maybe 6 years ago and I still love it. I generally don’t go for leopard print clothing, but I really liked this top because I think that it is really fun and interesting in this color. I also love the way that it pops against the black.
Although I do love this top with black, I think it’s bugging me a little with these pants, especially, when worn with out the jacket. I “attempted” to tie the front ends and tuck the tails but I just couldn’t get it to work like I wanted it to.
Black Leather Moto Jacket – This was an anniversary gift from my husband 2 years ago. He purchased it on Amazon for around $120. It’s probably one of my favorite pieces because it adds edge to my outfits and makes me feel a little tough.
Accessories – I kept it simple by adding a pair of rose gold stud earrings and a pair of rose gold Aviator style sunglasses.
At the end of the day, I am really VERY happy with how well these pants turned out. I am going to go back and deepen the hem because the pants are still just a tad bit too long. I love these so much that I will be making up two more pair in denim. I highly recommend this pattern to anyone who wants good looking flares that are quick and easy sew.
I am hoping in the near future that I will get to restyle and re-shoot these babies.